Tuesday, September 26, 2017

There were others before you

The reasons are not simple.
The feelings are.

It's not that we think this is some right solution.
It's that you didn't think the others were.
You weren't listening.

I can see myself in you.
Let there be no dishonesty between us
Is what I long for

It is exhausting isn't it
To care and only be these two hands and single mouth
If I had twenty mouths and the right amount of lungs and vocal cords,
Then I would have more than you,
And my voice would be louder.

More cacophonous.

I band with my brothers and you yours.
But I can see myself in you.
Let there be no dishonesty between us
Bring me your hands and not your gun

Your gun, your mask.
They keep you safe, and not me.
Do you wear them to be safe from me?
From my brother?

Will you not work with us?
Will you not put aside your gun to work with us?

I care not how coarse you speak, how deep your frustration, if you're willing to know my frustration too.
I can see myself in you.
Let there be no dishonesty between us
I am scared for the future.

There is enough.
But it can be squandered.
We have wasted plenty.

I want to protect what's left.
But a gun and a mask will not protect it.

Save

No comments:

Post a Comment